Thursday, December 17, 2009

Gardening grants for elementary schools





Asim Shah posted a photo:

bee


rose2.jpg
flowers - rose2.jpg


When I was a child I had no interest in gardening - it was an activity that kept my parents away from me for hours on end and so I resented it. I was amazed recently talking to two horticulturist friends of mine when they agreed that, as boys, the highlight of their week was watching Gardeners' World! It also seemed the influence of their grandparents was the important thing. I hear that my fellow blogger, Sam Youd, Head Gardener at Tatton Park has seven grandchildren under the age of six, I wonder how many of them will catch the bug?

If I were a child today, it would be a different story. I'd be counting the days til my day out at this year's Tatton Park show.

Children are admitted free and the RHS have made sure there are plenty of stimulating and fun ways to introduce them to the world of horticulture.

If your children are very young and you don't want to spend the day buying and then mopping up, ice cream, there's lots of hands-on playing activities to amuse them. They can make animals out of vegetables, do floor puzzles and have fun getting dirty messing about with earth, plus a few worms if they're lucky. Arts About Manchester are planning a circus style tent plus a balloon garden and will be showing a screening of Bee Movie, which might be a welcome chance for a sit down (and a snooze) for tired parents.

One of the show gardens, Edible Trends is giving away pumpkin plants to the first 100 children to visit the garden, so that they can grow them for Halloween. If you miss that and you're feeling peckish, try the Waitrose outdoor kitchen, where your budding Jamie Oliver can have a go at creating a salad lunch.

For teenagers, the floristry tent might offer some unexpected inspiration. The floral jewellery workshops might offer something for even the most disaffected youth - and if you remember the spectacular hats at Chelsea, the results could be amazing.

Artistic teenagers might also be inspired by Jack Dunckley, the 16-year-old, medal-winning, garden designer (silver medal at Hampton Court this year). Take them to have a look at the gardens in the Young Designer of the Year category, you never know, they might want to have a go.



Info from:

No comments:

Post a Comment